Repair and Leasing Scheme

Note to Property Owners: Do you own a property that has been empty for more than a year?

Túath Housing is delighted to work in partnership with Dublin City Council to help owners of vacant properties bring them back into use and provide much needed homes for those in need.

If you are the owner of a property that has been empty for more than a year in the North West of Dublin (specifically Finglas, Cabra or Ballymun) and the property needs improvement works to make it comply with rental accommodation standards then Túath could help.

Under the ‘Repair and Leasing Scheme’, Túath could pay upfront for any works needed to bring your property up to the required standard and enter into a lease agreement with you to enable the property to be used as much needed social housing.

Under the terms of the lease, Túath become responsible for the day to day management and maintenance of the property as well as dealing with any tenant related issues that might arise. We provide you with guaranteed rent regardless of occupancy and assurances over the condition of the property when it is returned to you at the end of the lease, which would be for a minimum of a 10-year period. As the property owner, you would retain responsibility for the structure of the building and if an apartment, for any service charge payments due to the management company.

Click on for further information on how the scheme works.

Please contact Túath at if you are interested in making your property available under the Repair and Leasing Scheme.

If you own a property that has been empty for a at least a year and are interested in the above scheme but the property is outside of Dublin City, please contact as the relevant Local Authority may also be taking part in the Repair and Leasing Scheme.

August 4th, 2017

Notice to Túath Tenants regarding The  Residential Tenancies Board

As of Monday 4th April 2016 the Association have an obligation to register all tenancies with the Residential Tenancies Board. The RTB operate a national tenancy registration system and assists to resolve disputes between landlords and tenants. It also provides policy advice to the Government on the rented sector, and its dispute resolution service replaces the courts in relation to the majority of landlord and tenant disputes.

The Association had 12 months to register all tenants with the RTB.

Part IV (part 4) of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 contains the security of tenure measure for tenants based on 4-year cycles whereby tenancies that have lasted more than 6 months become ‘Part 6 tenancies’. Unless there is a breach of the tenancy obligations, they may only be terminated by the landlord during the following 3½ years where one or more of the 6 grounds listed in the Table to section 34 of the Act arises. Please click here to access the Residential Tenancies Act 2004.

At the end of the 4-year period, the tenancy is deemed terminated and a new tenancy comes into being where the dwelling continues to be let to the same tenant(s). This new tenancy is known a ‘further Part 4 tenancy’ and, if not terminated by the landlord within the following 6 months, may only be terminated during the remainder of the successive four years where one of the grounds in the Table to section 34 arises, or an actionable breach of obligations.

Each tenancy must be registered with the RTB. Once registered the RTB will send out written confirmation of the registration to both the tenant and landlord. When the Part 4 tenancy is deemed to be terminated at the end of the four year cycle and a further Part 4 tenancy comes into being, this tenancy must be registered with the RTB.

How does it affect my tenancy agreement?

The terms of your tenancy agreement still exist and security of tenure continues pending continued payment of rent and no anti-social behaviour; the two main changes under the part 4 tenancy that’ll affect both the Association and our tenants are the change to required notice periods and dispute resolution.

Notice Periods:

Going forward both the Association and our tenants have a legal obligation to ensure sufficient notices periods are given should one party wish to end the tenancy.

In order to validly terminate a tenancy a landlord / tenant must serve a valid notice of termination on the tenant / landlord.  If the tenant does not vacate upon the expiration of a valid notice of termination or if a landlord / tenant does not believe that the Notice of Termination is valid they can submit a dispute to the RTB for resolution.


An application for Dispute Resolution can be made by registered landlords and all tenants (regardless of whether the tenancy is registered or not) and Third Parties, who are affected by a landlord’s failure to enforce their tenant’s obligations.

Where there is a dispute between the Association with regard to arrears or anti-social behaviour we will continue to follow our in house complaints policy/procedure. Once we’ve exhausted our internal policy/procedure the dispute will be deferred to the RTB for mediation or adjudication.

A tenant can also register a dispute with the RTB; the recommendation from the RTB is that where a dispute is occurring all efforts to resolve the dispute are taken between the parties before registering with the RTB. The RTB will look for evidence of attempts made to resolve the dispute.  The current fee for Dispute Resolution online is €15 and Paper Application is €25.

The Association will be communicating directly to all tenants in the coming weeks advising of the changes under the PART 6 Tenancy legislation.  In the meantime should you have any queries or concerns regarding the above please contact your Housing Officer or The RTB. Please note the RTB cannot provide legal advice.


Please note that the RTB is not a Public Office.

You may however wish to contact the RTB by telephone, email or post.

Phone the RTB: 8:00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday – 01-702 8100  or  0818 30 30 37

Send a fax to the RTB – 0818 30 30 39

Emails to the RTB should be directed to the appropriate email address below. This will enable us to deal with your query as quickly as possible. If you have a reference number please quote this in all correspondence.

Tenancy Registration queries:

Registration Enforcement : 

Dispute Resolution queries: 

All postal correspondence should be directed to:


PO BOX 47,




April 12th, 2016

Rent Policy 2016
Some changes have been made to our differential rent policy. This is our first significant review since 2006. The new process applies to the 2016 rent assessment, effective 4th April 2016, is as follows

Capital Assistance Scheme
Rents are determined by taking into account the tenant’s means and the cost of providing and maintaining the dwelling. The minimum rent contribution payable by each tenant is €30 per week.

Local Authority Differential Rent Scheme
In some schemes not owned by Tuath Housing, rents are calculated according to the Local Councils Differential Rent Scheme.

Capital Loan and (Rental) Subsidy Scheme
This scheme applies to properties owned by Túath where tenancies are allocated to applicants eligible for local authority housing and where Túath’s differential rent scheme is applied. Details of the scheme with effect from 4th April 2016:

No minimum rent.

New maximum (core) rent of €99 per week.

All persons apart from the principal tenants(s) with an income, living in the home contribute €10 per week (except children under 18 or an adult under 23 in full time education) apart from persons aged under 26, where it is then reduced to a contribution of €5 per week.

Child maintenance payments are included for the purposes of income for calculating the differential rent.

Allowances for fostering children are included for the purpose of calculating the differential rent.

Rent will be assessed on the total net household income, for everyone living at the property, regardless of who is listed as the tenant(s) on the tenancy agreement.

The principal earner is defined as the person (tenant or other resident) who is in receipt of the highest assessable income. For couples whether married or common law, partner, joint tenants, etc, both incomes will be added together for principal earner purposes, i.e., spouses/partners will not be classed as subsidiary earners.

A subsidiary earner is defined as a member of the household, other than the principal earner with an assessable income.

Child maintenance payments are included as household income

Income assessed for rent will be rounded down to the nearest 10c.

Items included as assessable income:
– · Employment including self-employment
– · Social insurance / social assistance payments
– · Health board allowances
– · FAS training allowances
– · CE Schemes, Back to Work, VEC Schemes
– · Income from pensions and any other source
– · Family Income Supplement
– · Spouse maintenance
– Child maintenance
– Income from overtime worked
– Allowances for fostering children

Items excluded from assessable income:
– Living Alone Allowance
– Child Benefit
– Orphans Allowance and Orphans Pension
– Scholarship
– Allowances for domiciliary care of disabled children
– Carers Allowance
– Allowances / assistance received from any charitable organisation
– Dietary and Mobility Allowances
– Christmas bonus payments from the Dept. of Social Welfare
– Heating and fuel allowances

Income from self-employed persons, e.g. taxi drivers, builders, etc. is assumed to be between €500 and €600 if proof is difficult to obtain, subject to an individual assessment carried out by the Director of Housing Services, and rent is then calculated accordingly.

A deduction of €2 is made for each dependent child up to the age of 22 if in full time education & without a source of income.

If you have any queries on the above please contact your Housing Officer.

February 25th, 2016

If you receive Social Welfare payments you may be eligible to use our Household Budget service for help with managing your rent.




November 5th, 2014