How do I sign up for housing with Túath?
We at Túath Housing do not maintain a housing/waiting list and seek 100% nominations from County Council and all nominees. Should your name be nominated we will contact you for an interview.

How are rents calculated?
Your rent is determined according to household income. Rent is assessed on the principal earners income and an additional amount is levied for other earners within the household. A principal earner is the tenant who has signed the Tenancy Agreement. If two persons are joint tenants, both incomes will be treated as principal income.

Income is assessed based on net income (after tax and PRSI deductions). Deductions are made for each dependent child and up to the age of 22 if a full time student with no income. A confidential Income Statement form with accompanying proof of income, eg P60 must be completed and submitted prior to commencement of a new tenancy and thereafter on an annual basis and/or on demand.

If you are entitled to social welfare and/or any financial benefit and you choose not to claim such, the association will assume that your income is based on your social welfare and/or other state income entitlements for the purposes of calculating your weekly rent.

Failure to return a completed Confidential Income Statement(CIS) form with acceptable proof of income when requested will result in an automatic €25 per week increase on your rent until the CIS is submitted with proof of income.

Income from subsidiary earners will form part of the differential rent calculation. A subsidiary earner is anyone other than the principal earner(s) who has an income. It is at the discretion of the association to periodically review and change if desired the minimum and maximum levels of rent and the way in which the differential rent is calculated including the treatment of subsidiary earners.

In some schemes not owned by Túath Housing, rents are calculated according to the local council’s Differential Rent Scheme.

What happens if my income changes?
If your income increases or decreases you should immediately notify your Housing Services Co-ordinator. This will likely lead to the weekly rent being re-assessed. If you fail to notify the association promptly about a rise in income this may lead to the weekly rent increase being back-dated. If you fail to notify the Association promptly about a decrease in income, the Association is under no obligation to back-date your rent from the effective period. The maximum period the Association will consider back-dating rent will be 3 months.

How often do I have to pay rent?
Rent must be paid weekly in advance. Rent is charged on a weekly basis every Monday. However, depending on your personal circumstances and by arrangement with your Housing Services Co-ordinator, it may be possible to vary this. All payments must be made in advance. We will give you 4 weeks notice of any rent increase.

Where and how do I pay my rent? 

  1. By standing order from your bank or building society – your Housing Services Co-ordinator can give you a form to complete. There are advantages to paying by standing order. Túath can automatically collect the rent due and it requires no action by you when the rent changes. If for any reason you wish to cancel your standing order please contact your Housing Services Co-ordinator.
  2. By post – but please do not send cash via the post. Cheques and postal orders should be made payable to Túath Housing. Please write your name, address and rent account number on the back of any cheques and postal orders sent.

How can I check my rent account?
The association will send you a rent statement that will detail charges made and any payments received. You can also contact the office and request a statement at any time. Rent statements are normally issued every three months.

You should check this statement to ensure that the amounts correspond to the payments made. This is why it is important for you to keep any receipts received for payments made.

You should be aware that payments made around the time the statement is produced may not appear until the next statement. If you discover any discrepancy in the rent statement you should contact your Housing Services Co-ordinator as soon as possible so that this can be checked.
You can also check your rent determination per week by asking your Housing Services Co-ordinator to send you a rent calculation sheet.

What will happen if I do not pay rent?
It is essential to pay rent. Not paying rent can lead to eviction.

What if I have problems paying my rent?
If you have any difficulties paying your rent it is vital that you contact your Housing Services Co-ordinator as soon as possible. Confidential help and advice is available and staff will do all they can to assist you and prevent you getting into further debt.

What will happen if I get into rent arrears?

Depending on the amount of rent arrears the following action may be taken by the Association:

  1. We will offer advice on how to manage your debt or refer you to a money advice centre (i.e. MABS)
  2. We will endeavour to reach a repayment Agreement with you
  3. A ‘Notice to Quit’ may be issued
  4. Court action could be initiated, leading to eviction and the loss of your home
  5. Your credit rating could be adversely affected making it very difficult for you to get loans or credit in the future

If you still do not pay during this period we shall seek recovery through the
Courts. This will mean that:

  1. you will be responsible for all legal costs in addition to your arrears
  2. we could evict you from your home
  3. you may have difficulty getting credit or a loan in the future
  4. you may be considered ‘intentionally homeless’ if you apply for rehousing
  5. We will not be able to give you a reference for mortgage lenders
  6. At all times, remember that the association will help with advice, form-filling etc. in the strictest confidence
  7. In the event of exceptional, unforeseen and genuine financial hardship you may apply to the association for a discretionary reduction in rent for a limited period

When am I liable to pay a Service Charge?
The association will levy a Service Charge if any of the following services(usually relating to communal facilities) are provided:

  1. Resident Supervisor and accommodation costs Grounds Maintenance or Landscaping costs
  2. Cleaning of communal areas and window cleaning
  3. Heating and Lighting of communal areas
  4. Communal Furniture and Fittings costs including any communal Laundry equipment
  5. Maintenance and Repairs to communal areas including Lifts, Fire Alarm systems, Emergency Lighting and CCTV/Intercom systems
  6. Refuse Collection & Waste Management charges

In some buildings, Communal Services may be wholly or partly provided by an outside Management Agent and their fees will also be charged. The Service Charge is calculated by dividing the total costs to the Association by the number of units in the scheme.

Any change to the weekly Service Charge will be notified to you(normally on an annual basis) in writing giving at least 4 week’s notice. Túath Housing endeavour to discount service charges levied on tenants as much as possible and guarantee a discount on open market service charges in all instances.


How do I report a repair?
Contact the office or your Housing Services Co-ordinator by telephone, in writing or by e-mail.
You can also advise your Resident Supervisor(if there is one in your building).
Please give the nature of the repair and when access will be available for the repair to be undertaken.
Depending on the nature of the repair an inspection may be required before the repair is undertaken.

Túath is not responsible for any repairs where a fault or damage has occurred due to the inappropriate use or excessive wear and tear or other avoidable damage to a fixture, fitting or interior or exterior surface(eg a blocked drain by food waste or a nappy, broken kitchen units or sanitary ware). Accidental damage, such as broken windows and other things are not the responsibility of the association either.

Túath Housing reserves the right to review and vary repairing responsibilities from time to time.

What is condensation?
Condensation occurs when moist air reaches a cold surface. This moisture is usually caused by steam from cooking, washing, bathing, drying clothes etc.
Why is condensation a problem?

If unchecked, condensation can damage your clothes, bedding and decoration by causing mould growth or dampness.

How can I reduce condensation?

  1. Make sure kitchens and bathrooms are properly ventilated after cooking, washing, bathing etc. by opening a window or using an extractor fan(if you have one)
  2. Close kitchen and bathroom doors to prevent steam spreading through your home
  3. Dry clothes outside if possible(except on balconies)
  4. Use the central heating system in your home to maintain a constant temperature. This will reduce cold areas where steam can accumulate to cause condensation
  5. Do not use paraffin or bottled gas heaters as these contribute to the problems of condensation


How do I make a complaint?
We aim to provide a quality service and, if there is any complaint, to deal with it efficiently and quickly.
A complaint can be made over the phone, face to face or in writing by email or letter.

  1. You should speak to a member of staff who you normally deal with. For example the Resident Supervisor or Housing Services Co-ordinator. If you decide to write about the matter, we will respond within 10 working days.
  2. If you are unhappy about the response you can write to the member of staff’s manager and/or the Divisional Director. A reply will be sent to you within 10 working days.
  3. If you are unhappy with the response you can then write to the Chief Executive. A reply will be sent to you within 10 working days.

How do I end  my tenancy?

To end the tenancy, you need to do the following:

  1. You should inform us in writing and send a copy of the death certificate when available
  2. Tell us from when you want to end the tenancy
  3. Notify suppliers of electricity, gas, telephone etc
  4. Make sure that all of the deceased tenant’s belongings and furniture are removed from the property. If you cannot clear everything out of the property, you must inform us in writing that any items left can be removed by the association.
  5. Return all sets of keys to the association
  6. Advise us if there is a solicitor dealing with the tenant’s will in order for any overpaid or outstanding rent to be settled

Can I become the new tenant?
If you have been living with the tenant for some time you may have a right to take over the tenancy if you were the husband or wife of the tenant, or a close relative of the tenant. Contact the association for further advice.